Notice: We are running about 2 weeks behind in shipping, due to increased sales, and delays in manufacturing. We are very sorry for these delays.
This dark gray is a rich, deep steel color. It goes with any color scheme, and it hides dirt and other stains really well! Made with high tech, medical grade polyethylene, this feeder will stand up to the harshest conditions for years of use.
Replacement grates are available if you would need a different size grate opening, or if it gets worn after a year, or two, or more (our horses are using 3-5 year old grates).
Grate opening sizes are based on your hay type, and not on how much you want to slow down consumption, as with a net. Soaked hay typically requires a larger grate size.
If you are questioning which size grate to order, error on the side of caution with a larger size. It is easier for your horse to make the transition with a larger grate and then move down to a smaller grate size, than to have your horse start out frustrated that he can't access the hay due to a smaller grate size.
We offer free grate exchange within the first 30 days of your order, if the grate that you ordered is not working. Just order your grate online and we will reimburse you when the original grate is shipped back to us.
You can always call us at 701.793.7289 with any question or email us at jjohnson@SavvyFeeder.com.
Small: 2.25" x 5" size openings for super fine grass hay such as Coastal Bermuda, Teff, early brome, chopped and bagged forage, very fine alfalfa and fine hay that is conditioned.
Medium: Our original grate size with 2.75" x 6" size openings for most cool-season grass hays such as Timothy and Orchard and some finer grass alfalfa mix hay - not for thick, stemmy or coarse hay.
Large: 3.25" x 6" size openings for alfalfa and alfalfa mixes. (Due to the leaves on the alfalfa, these types of hay can compact very easily and a large grate is recommended; especially when starting a horse on the Savvy Feeder). Also use a large grate for other stemmy hay such as peanut, and long-stranded hay from a large round bale. The large grate is beneficial for older horses who have difficulty grasping hay.
Fed Ex shipping right to your door (or barn) for $45.00
HOW DOES IT WORK?
The grate floats on top of the hay and goes down as the horse eats. The grate is held in place by heavy-duty fabric. This unique process has granted us a patent through the US Patent and Trade Office.
HOW MUCH DOES IT HOLD?
Approximately 18-22 pounds of hay (4-6 flakes of a 2-twine bale).
Your horse doesn't need that much per feeding? No worries - just put in the amount of hay that your horse needs. It works just as well with 5 lbs of hay.
Your horse will enjoy their forage 4 to 10 times longer than if thrown on the ground/floor.
Metal nameplates can be personally engraved—see our accessories page for customization and pricing options
- It only weighs 25 lbs and measures 24"x24"x18" tall. It's super easy to take along.
- Incredibly durable - This workhorse of a feeder is made of a strong, slightly flexible high tech poly material that horses just can't destroy - even in the cold winters of North Dakota!
- The grate is made out of the same safe, slightly flexible poly material - no chipped teeth here!
- Reduce the chance of the horses eating sand, manure, urine-soaked bedding, rocks, parasites - you name it; the Savvy Feeder keeps the hay up off the ground.
- Allows your horse to forage in a natural head-down position, creating correct jaw alignment & chewing motion.
- Creates contentment and calmness when eating; eliminating boredom, nervousness, and frustration.
- Prolongs feeding about 4-10 times as long as eating off the ground.
- No more seeing costly hay blow away by the wind, or getting stomped on by our picky eaters!
- Spend time riding instead of cleaning up that pile of wasted hay!
- Reduce the chance of picking up ground contaminants because your horse's hay is contained.
- And best of all, it's SAFE! The grate is slightly flexible and is designed to give if a shoe or a foot was to catch. If there is extreme pressure, the grate will pop out of the feeder. We all know that accidents can happen and that no feeder is 'fool-proof' but we sure have done our best to make this the safest hay feeder possible. We use Savvy Feeders with our own herd, 24/7, 365.