From time to time we have factory 2nds in stock in various colors and grate opening sizes. All of the factory 2nds have superficial flaws, such as scratches, or a small discolored spot. Most folks cannot tell why the feeder was marked down as a factory 2nd. Any flaws that make it a factory 2nd do not affect the safety or performance of the feeder in ANY way.
UPDATE: we have 1 tan factory 2nd: med grate. It has a cosmetic flaw on the outside of the feeder and do not decrease the longevity or the safety.
Small: 2.25" x 5" size openings for super fine grass hay such as Coastal Bermuda, Teff, early brome, chopped and bagged forage, very fine alfalfa and fine hay that is conditioned.
Medium: Our original grate size with 2.75" x 6" size openings for most cool-season grass hays such as Timothy and Orchard and some finer grass alfalfa mix hay - not for thick, stemmy or coarse hay.
Large: 3.25" x 6" size openings for alfalfa and alfalfa mixes. (Due to the leaves on the alfalfa, these types of hay can compact very easily and a large grate is recommended; especially when starting a horse on the Savvy Feeder). Also use a large grate for other stemmy hay such as peanut, and long-stranded hay from a large round bale. The large grate is beneficial for older horses who have difficulty grasping hay.
Have your factory 2nd Savvy Feeder shipped right to your door (or barn) for $38.50 anywhere in the continental US.
HOW DOES IT WORK?
The grate floats on top of the hay level goes down. The grate is held in place by heavy-duty fabric. This unique process has granted us a patent through the US Patent and Trade Office.
HOW MUCH DOES IT HOLD?
Approximately 18-22 lbs of hay.
Don't feed so much per feeding? No worries - just put in the amount of hay you need. It works just as well with 5 lbs of hay.
Keeps them eating forage 4 to 10 times longer than if thrown on the ground/floor.
Metal nameplates can be personally engraved—see our accessories page for customization and pricing options
- It only weighs 25 lbs - it's super easy to take along
- Incredibly durable - This feeder is made of a strong, slightly flexible high tech poly material that they can't destroy - even in the cold winters of North Dakota!
- The grate is made out of the same safe, slightly flexible poly material - no chipped teeth here!
- Reduce the chance of eating sand, manure, urine-soaked bedding, rocks - you name it; the Savvy Feeder keeps the hay up off the ground.
- Allows them to forage in a natural head-down position.
- Creates contentment and calmness when eating; eliminating boredom, nervousness, and frustration.
- Prolongs feeding about 4-10 times as long as eating off the ground.
- No more seeing costly hay blown away by the wind, or getting stomped on by picky eaters!
- Spend time riding instead of cleaning up that pile of wasted hay!
- And best of all, it's SAFE! The grate is slightly flexible and is designed to give if a shoe or a foot was to catch. If there is extreme pressure, the grate will pop out of the feeder. We all know that accidents can happen and that no feeder is 'fool-proof' but we sure have done our best to make this the safest hay feeder possible. We use Savvy Feeders with our own herd, 24/7, 365.